OZ Minerals was formed in 2008 through the merger of Australian based, international mining companies Oxiana Limited and Zinifex Limited.
OZ Minerals employs over 5,700 people directly, 3,100 contractors and spans nine countries. The company currently has mining operations located in Australia and Asia and a large portfolio of advanced and early stage exploration projects throughout Australia, Asia and the Americas. The OZ Minerals Group Office is located in Melbourne.
OZ Minerals is the world’s second largest producer of zinc as well as a substantial producer of copper, lead, gold and silver.
OZ Minerals' operations and pending projects include:
- The Century operation in Queensland which is the world’s second largest open pit zinc mine - producing some 500,000 tonnes of zinc annually
- The Sepon copper and gold operation in Laos which produces approximately 60,000 tonnes of copper annually. The gold operation at Sepon is in its seventh year of production
- The Golden Grove underground base and precious metals operation in Western Australia which produces concentrates of zinc, copper and other base and precious metals
- The Prominent Hill copper-gold operation in South Australia which started production in February 2009
- The Rosebery operation in Tasmania, a polymetallic underground mine, in operation since 1936
- The Martabe gold-silver project in Indonesia*
- The Dugald River undeveloped zinc, lead and silver deposit*
- The Avebury nickel operation in Tasmania currently on care and maintenance
- An extensive portfolio of exploration and advanced development projects and joint ventures across Australia, Asia and North America.
*Deferred development projects
For information on changes to OZ Minerals structure and operations since 31 December 2008 see www.ozminerals.com