OZ Minerals Community Investment and Sponsorship Guidelines
OZ Minerals supports sustainable programs with long term benefits to the communities close to the areas in which we operate.
In alignment with our Sustainability Policy, we are committed to achieving Zero Harm by Choice which is about promoting a culture that ensures no harm comes to our employees and the environment, and that communities close to our operations benefit from our presence.
It is our priority to avoid creating dependency and to provide support to organisations or projects that wish to achieve sustainable outcomes.
OZ Minerals has the Prominent Hill copper mine site in Northern South Australia and Carrapateena advanced exploration project also situated in South Australia. We also have an administrative office in Adelaide and our Head Office is situated in Melbourne.
For community support we prioritise the following geographical areas:
- South Australia - specifically Upper Spencer Gulf and the Far North
Other geographic areas may be considered as long as benefit to OZ Minerals stakeholders can be clearly demonstrated.
Priority areas for support
The following areas would be considered as a priority for OZ Minerals Support:
- Locally organised events and activities with broad community appeal
- Funding towards skills development and educational programs
- Funding towards environmental projects, sustainable development objectives, community education and conservation programs
- Health and wellbeing programs
Areas that would not be supported
The following areas would not be considered as part of the OZ Minerals Community Investment program.
- Contributions or support for any political party, politician or political candidate
- Religious organisations undertaking religious activities (humanitarian branches of religious organisations maybe eligible)
- Funding for organisations who are in themselves grant making or funding bodies (unless funding is tied to a particular preferable local project)
- Wages and salaries
Organisations that apply for support must be able to demonstrate:
- That they are reputable and have a positive track record and solid governance (OZ Minerals may wish to audit the appropriate use of funds after contributions are made)
- That they share the OZ Minerals values of Respect, Integrity, Action and Results
- That they do not engage in activities that would contravene the OZ Minerals Code of Conduct
To promote sustainable outcomes preference will be given to:
- Organisations that can demonstrate how their initiative will provide sustainable benefits to local communities
- Organisations who already have other sources of funding and will not be reliant on OZ Minerals for operational costs
- Particular projects or events as opposed to general funding or support without clear identification of how the money is to be spent
- Initiatives that lead to the organisation, or communities being assisted, becoming self sustaining
Evaluation and audit
After project completion, or at a suitable stage of the project life OZ Minerals needs to be provided with a letter outlining how the investment contributed to the sustainable development of the particular community (for assistance over $1000).
Organisations may be asked to provide photos and a case study for the OZ Minerals Sustainability Report. A third party audit may be included as part of the case study development process.
Corporate Sponsorships (Branding opportunities)
OZ Minerals may engage in a limited number of broader corporate branding opportunities and will seek appropriate branding recognition for these opportunities.
The following information will be required in an application for funding:
- Name and contact information
- Information about the project and how it fits into the above guidelines
- Type of organisation (charity, school, government)
- Amount of funding requested and current main source of funding
- Project timeline
- Organisation’s board members and key staff
For further information:
T +61 3 9288 0333