April 2021 COVID-19 Brazil update
Our Brazilian operations have not experienced major disruption although there are a number of people from our Brazil team who have tested positive for COVID-19 during the past nine months.
Our Brazilian workforce has been mass tested for COVID-19 twice.
To better control our peoples’ exposure and to protect worksites, only critical roles are working at the sites while the remainder of the team is working remotely.
We have provided test kits to the municipal authorities in the areas where we are operating, to increase their community testing capacity.
We intend to continue with our quarantine, trace and isolate regime so we can keep our people in employment and the sites operating, while also ensuring their health and well-being.
OZ Minerals response to COVID-19
Here are some of the measures OZ Minerals is taking to minimise the risk to our people, visitors and sites from the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic. These efforts also contribute to minimising broader community exposure and delaying the spread of the virus.
Our focus is the safety and wellbeing of our employees, contractors, suppliers and the broader community. We understand the uncertainty of how COVID-19 is evolving can be a stressful time for many of our people. As such, we have expanded leave provisions and an Employee Assistance Program in place to support our people through different situations that may require them to take time off work during this period.
We strictly enforce and promote all Australian State and Federal, and Brazilian government health and disease control measures around isolation, international and domestic travel, and the advice regarding hygiene and social distancing.
We have in place:
- Company-wide travel restrictions and conditions since mid-February.
- All South Australian sites currently attended by key frontline workforce only with people working from home where possible.
- Medical facilities at our remote sites in South Australia that are capable of initial testing, isolating and contact tracing should someone present with symptoms. Onsite medical support in Brazil.
- Changes to rosters and other activities at our remote sites to observe social distancing.
- Conversations with our local and small business partners, who play a critical role in supporting our operations and our people. We are speaking with them about measures we can take as part of a program to support communities and regional economies during this time.
- Remote/ work from home arrangements for almost all our South Australian people where possible, including our team in the Adelaide Corporate office.
- An employee assistance hotline.
- Work near remote indigenous communities in Australia in line with the advice of respective State and Federal Health authorities, to help protect our most vulnerable communities.
We will update content on this page in line with the advice of State and Federal Health authorities and as the situation evolves.
We are still accepting sponsorship requests but please note that due to COVID-19 are mindful of the timing and nature of requests seeking direct financial assistance.
We also consider non-financial ways to be of service for our wide-reaching community, so please contact us if you have any opportunities for external mentoring or utilisation of skills in a remote and safe capacity.